A search warrant was issued in connection with the fire on Saturday night Pennsylvania News

SHAMOKIN – A search warrant was handed out Monday to obtain clothing worn by a man believed to have been present in a fire that severely damaged a one-story home in the first quarter of East Sunbury Street on Saturday night.

Police called the fire suspicious, while the woman, who ran away from home, was found about 2 1/2 hours later on the 78th Interstate Police on Hamburg State Police.

Police Chief Raymond Siko II said Monday that he would discuss the case with the assistant district attorney today, but left comments on the investigation.

Siko said Sunday that a fire at 7:08 p.m. occurred in the middle bedroom on the second floor of 40 E. Sunbury St., causing severe heat and fire on the second floor, as well as smoke and water damage throughout the three-story floor. housing.

Siko said 52-year-old Robin Peace and her 22-year-old son Anthony Salseda stayed at the house, but neighbors did not see them for several weeks until Saturday night.

Anthony Salceda was questioned by police at the scene, but his mother fled the fire on foot before at 9:39 p.m. she was found by Hamburg police as she was walking on Interstate 78 near the exit from Hamburg.

Shiko said state police called Shamokin’s police after learning that Pease was from Shamokin and was wanted by authorities on a warrant.

Patrolman Wesley Fleming met with state police in Hamburg and took Pease to the Shamokin Police Station at 11:47 p.m. Pee was questioned by police before being taken to Northumberland County Jail on Sunday at 1:20 a.m., where she was jailed on a warrant.

At the moment, the investigation, which, according to Silko, is very active, no charges have been filed against the fire.

The police chief, who is also acting as a fire investigator in the city, said the fire was suspicious. He said a K-9 unit from Reading responded to the fire to check for accelerators.

Because of the evidence found at the scene of the fire, Siko said he was sure he knew what caused the fire, but preferred not to report the official cause of the fire until the investigation was completed. He said several pieces of evidence were sent to the Pennsylvania Police Lab for further analysis. He did not specify what evidence was found in the investigative motives.

Siko said the cat at 40 E. Sunbury St. died in the fire despite efforts by city firefighters to resuscitate the cats.

He said neighboring houses at 38 and 42 E. Sunbury St. received minor damage from smoke. He said both houses were occupied at the time of the fire, but no one was injured.

Police were sent to an apartment building after receiving a report of a fire of a working structure with flames smashing second-floor windows at the back of E. Sunbury Street, 40.

The initial report indicated that the man was trapped in the house, but three minutes later it became known that Salseda and Pease had safely left the house.

Firefighters Shamokin and police remained at the scene until 9:30 p.m. on Saturday and then returned to continue the investigation Sunday at 7:45 p.m. Siko said investigators continued to inspect the scene until 11:30 a.m. Sunday.

Help Siko, Corporal. Brian Primerano and Fleming with the investigation are Shamokin Fire Chief Steve Jeffery, Assistant Fire Chief Ken Pilcus, Deputy Fire Chief Lester Johe, Fire Battalion Chief Dave Weirry and Security Officer Bruce Rogers.

All city fire departments responded to the blaze, as well as firefighters from the Maine Fire Company in Coal Town, the Culpmont Fire Service and the Anthracite Fire Company in Mount Carmel, AREA Services ambulance personnel and fire police who remained at the scene overnight.

Back to top button