THURSDAY, Sept. 22, 2022 (HealthDay News) — The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is advising consumers to immediately stop using HECOPRO digital display carbon monoxide (CO) detectors because they may not warn of the presence of a hazardous gas. said.

The CPSC issued the warning Thursday after the detectors were sold failed tests with a CO concentration of 400 ppm, which violates safety standards.

At sustained levels above 150-200 ppm, disorientation, unconsciousness and death are possible, according to CPSC.

The detectors in the alert were sold on under ASIN, B07T66J7KJ $9 to $13. They are made of white plastic and measure approximately 4.1 by 1.8 by 4.1 inches. They have a digital display.

The detectors are advertised to detect dangerous levels carbon monoxide and an alert with a flashing red LED and a loud alarm.

The CPSC said consumers should not buy or sell these detectors. Existing notifiers should be thrown away and new ones that work should be installed.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas. Any fuel-burning appliance, from a gas stove to a furnace, is a potential source.

Emergency carbon monoxide poisonings related to consumer products claim more than 150 lives in the United States each year.

For protection, consumers should install carbon monoxide alarms on every level of their home and outside individual sleeping areas, the CPSC said. The alarm must be battery operated or have a battery backup. It is important to check the alarm frequently and replace dead batteries.

Additional information

To report an unsafe product or product-related injury, visit US Consumer Product Safety Commission.

SOURCE: US Consumer Product Safety Commission, press release, September 22, 2022.

Previous articleRepublican Leader McCarthy Unveils Party Platform in Pittsburgh; Democrats are on the attack
Next articleBacked by their depth, Fleetwood boys soccer continue their undefeated season