Indiana State Police have taken a man into custody in connection with the 2017 murders two teenage girls, authorities said Monday. State Police Superintendent Doug Carter announced that 50-year-old Richard Matthew Allen was arrested last week on two counts of murder in the murders of 14-year-old Liberty German and 13-year-old Abigail Williams in a case that drew national media attention.

Williams and Herman disappeared on Feb. 13, 2017, while hiking the historic trails in Delphi, Indiana, about 70 miles north of Indianapolis. Their bodies were found the next day in a wooded area about a mile from where they were last seen, and both deaths were ruled homicides.

News of the arrest came after investigators, hoping to identify a suspect, viewed thousands of potential customers without success for nearly six years.

“I’m proud to let you know that an arrest has been made,” Indiana State Police Superintendent Doug Carter said at a news conference Monday morning. “Thank you to the literally hundreds of media outlets who steadfastly reported and kept the memories of Abby and Libby front and center.”

Because the investigation is ongoing, Carter noted that additional details about the arrest and investigation are not being released at this time.

“While I know you are all waiting today for the final details of this arrest, today is not the day,” he said. “This investigation is far from over and we will not compromise its integrity by releasing or discussing documents or information until the appropriate time.”

Richard Allen, 50, was arrested and charged with two counts of murder in connection with the 2017 murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German.

Indiana State Police

Allen was arrested last Wednesday by detectives from the Delphi Double Homicide Squad, a task force formed after the deaths of Williams and Herman that combined local, state and federal law enforcement agencies. On Friday, a judge found probable cause to hold him without bond on the double-murder charge, Carroll County District Attorney Nicholas McClelland said, adding that Allen, described as a “local man,” had pleaded not guilty at a preliminary hearing.

McLelland emphasized that the investigation was still “active and ongoing” as of Monday morning, and authorities continue to ask the public for any tips related to the 2017 murders, whether or not they specifically relate to Allen.

The unsolved murders have attracted widespread media attention as police investigations have yielded no answers. Shortly after the girl, the investigators disappeared released the image of a possible suspect, a man wearing denim jeans, a blue jacket and a hoodie, who appeared to be walking in their direction on the Monon High Bridge Trail around the time they disappeared.

Police said the photo, in addition to an audio recording that appeared to capture the muffled voice of the possible suspect, were taken from Herman’s smartphone. More than two years later, in April 2019, video was released, also attributed to the teenager’s cell phone, along with an updated police sketch.

Despite the ongoing investigation, authorities have not been able to identify the person and no arrest warrant has been issued. However, multiple sources told the CBS affiliate in Indianapolis WTTV on Friday that a man was taken into custody in connection with the double murder. Indiana State Police announced an upcoming news conference later that day.

Previous articleInstagram down: Twitter awash with funny memes and hilarious jokes as photo-sharing app suffers global outage, including in India (Check Tweets)
Next articleBad Marriages Threaten Heart Attack Recovery | Health