The alleged cause of the fire in Hanover Township is smoking

HANOVER TWP. — Firefighters from Hanover Township, Nanticoke City, Kingston and Plymouth battled a fire that severely damaged a single-family home in Hanover Green early Wednesday afternoon.

The owner of the house, 77-year-old Phil Addonizio, believes that the cause of the fire was a cigarette.

Adonizio said he was at the McDonalds on Sans Souci Parkway for lunch when he learned his home at 530 Chestnut St. was on fire shortly before 1 p.m.

Firefighters quickly responded to the home, setting up a car tower in front and firing up the interior. After the fire was extinguished, firefighters used infrared cameras to check for hot spots.

Apparently, the fire started on the first floor and then spread to the second floor and the attic.

Township Fire Chief Joseph Temerantz said there were no injuries and the Wyoming Valley American Red Cross was called to assist the homeowner.

Addonizio said he usually stays on the first floor, where he smokes. He said he had a cigarette that he thought he would put out before he left for lunch.

Adonizio said he purchased the home in June 2012.

Back to top button