WESTERN CHESTER – The Chester County DAR Branch recently presented a Certificate and Medal for Preserving Chad Ford History to the Historical Society. Ken Lawson, Vice President of the Board of Directors, attended the presentation of the certificate and medal. This DAR National Award honors individuals and groups who have preserved and / or preserved their local history, including the restoration of buildings, collections, landmarks, monuments, cemeteries and other important artifacts.
In the early 1700s John Chadds operated the Brandywine ferry. This area became known as the ford of Chad. On September 11, 1777, the largest land battle of the American Revolution took place here. When a dilapidated house and a spring in Chad were put up for sale in 1968, concerned residents set up the Chad Ford Historical Society, raised money and bought real estate. The following year they bought the abandoned Barnes-Brinton home. Working with architects John Milner, these buildings were restored to their original 18th century architecture. Fifty years later, the Society continues to support these historic buildings along with providing educational opportunities for the community through exhibitions, lectures, school programs and events. Visit their website at www.chaddsfordhistory.org to learn more.
The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR), headquartered in Washington, DC, is a non-profit, non-political organization that honors both men and women whose victims have made our country free. The members are direct descendants of the patriot who contributed to the cause of American independence. Perhaps they fought, swore a new nation, or provided materials / financial support. The organization promotes patriotism, education and preservation of history in our communities.