Earlier on Wednesday, the US military said it had carried out airstrikes in eastern Syria against areas used by militias backed by Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard.
Syrian state media did not confirm the strikes on Deir ez-Zor. Iran also did not acknowledge the attack.
US Central Command said the strikes “took proportionate, deliberate action aimed at limiting the risk of escalation and minimizing the risk of casualties”. It did not identify targets or offer casualty figures for the strikes, which the military said were ordered by President Joe Biden.
“Today’s strikes were necessary to protect and defend US personnel,” Central Command spokesman Col. Joe Bucino said in a statement.
The colonel added that the attack was in response to an August 15 attack targeting US forces. In that attack, drones allegedly launched by Iranian-backed militias targeted the al-Tanf garrison, which is used by US forces. US Central Command described the attack as “zero casualties and damage”.
Deir Ezzor is a strategic province that borders Iraq and contains oil fields. Iranian-backed militia groups and Syrian forces control the area and have often been targeted by Israeli warplanes in previous strikes.
US troops entered Syria in 2015, supporting allied forces in their fight against the Islamic State group.